Thursday, April 24, 2014

KWA wakes up late to pongala

Jisha Surya
February 15

Thiruvananthapuram: The Kerala Water Authority (KWA) has convened a meeting a week ago to discuss the implementation of suggestions put forward by the K Jayakumar Commission.

The commission was constituted a year ago after a pipe burst on the eve of Attukal pongala had threatened to disrupt the largest congregation of women in the world.

Though the commission had submitted its report—with suggestions to avoid disruption in water supply—in April 2013, the KWA took up the matter for discussion only last week. Ruling out sabotage, the report had blamed ‘water hammer’ (the sudden pressure buildup in pipeline) for the burst in the main transmission line.

The line had burst simultaneously at Koottapara, Karakulam, Paravoorkonam and Peroorkada. The commission also found that the sudden closure of the valve had resulted in water hammer.

The panel reported that the valves were operated without a broader focus. Instead, it focused only on replenishing water in the tank meant to cater to the pongala needs. The commission blamed that the valves were managed without supervision, and in an unprofessional, insecure and vulnerable manner.

“The manner in which valves are installed and maintained is indeed pathetic. In many places, they are not secured. Anybody with a pipe range can operate the valves. Any miscreant can play havoc with the system. Entry to these valve chambers is neither controlled nor monitored properly. The log system is almost non-existent and even where it exists, its authenticity and credibility is doubtful,” the commission noted.

The managing director of the KWA, Ashok Kumar Singh, recently convened a meeting of his officials and asked them to monitor valves properly. KWA executive engineering Prakash Idicula said a 24-hour monitoring mechanism has been put in place to ensure the safety of valves.

“A four-member team, which would also have an assistant engineer and overseer, will inspect every five-km stretch of pipeline. Three such squads are functioning,” he said.

The officials, however, admitted that the squad was introduced just three days ago. Though the commission had asked to use lock mechanism to keep the valves safe, it was termed unpractical.

No comments:

Post a Comment