Wednesday, July 3, 2013

KWA shows yellow card to daily wage labourers in blue brigade

Jisha Surya

Thiruvananthapuram: Unable to find an alternative, the Kerala Water Authority (KWA) has decided to temporarily put on hold its decision to terminate daily wage labourers from essential services such as helpline and blue brigade. However, the fate of these services, which put praiseworthy performance to manage crisis situation during the recent series of pipe bursts, is hanging in the balance as KWA has already taken decision to replace the daily labourers with permanent employees. The employees who face termination allege that KWA was acting at the behest of private contractors and was trying to sabotage the functioning of the services.

The employees, 10 from helpline and 25 from blue brigade, said they were not paid for the last month. Ironically, contractors are in charge of paying the daily labourers. “Sixty percent employees of the crisis managing wing are daily labourers who get Rs 290 per day. It was for the interest of the contractor that the KWA is terminating our contract. Contractors want to put an end to our reports against their failure in maintaining pipes,” said an employee of helpline service on condition of anonymity.

Meanwhile, KWA MD Ashok Kumar Singh said the decision was taken after noticing discrepancy in money spent on daily labourers. He also added that unbiased reports are not expected from daily labourers, who are paid by contractors. “So we have decided to replace them with permanent employees. But the helpline or blue briagde service will not be affected by the decision. Also we are not terminating them, but will try to accommodate them in other sections,” Singh said.

Annamma Alex, chief engineer in charge of HRD, said the decision had been put on hold in order to ensure smooth functioning of the department.

Meanwhile, some union members of KWA have approached the KWA MD asking him to revoke the decision. “Though we are against appointment of daily labourers, we cannot ignore services such as helpline and blue brigade. We have asked the MD to review the decision, which is apparently to help contractors,” one of the union leaders said.

No comments:

Post a Comment