Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Pvt tankers make most of pipe bursts

Jisha Surya

Thiruvananthapuram: The recurrent pipe bursts not only brought prosperity to private contractors, but also to owners of private tanker lorries. The alternative water supply arranged by KWA during the pipe bursts in February-March has benefitted the private lorry owners. The Kerala Water Authority (KWA) is struggling with just four tanker lorries, two of which belongs to JICA-water supply scheme.

Last week, the revenue department passed a bill of Rs 4 lakh as payment for their services during the multiple pipe bursts on February 25 and the pipe bursts which followed. The private lorries carried more than 300 loads of water during the pipe bursts. Nearly 200 trips were conducted during the Attukal pongala alone.

Surprisingly, the KWA has not fixed any specific rate for tanker lorries. “The lorries were arranged by various government agencies during the crisis. That is the reason why there are different rates,” said a revenue official.

In addition to private lorries, tanker lorries of city corporation and fire and rescue service were roped in to supply water.

“Though pipe bursts have become a routine affair, the KWA did not bother to buy new tanker lorries to supply water to the affected areas. Instead of buying new vehicles for the officials, the KWA must buy tanker lorries, which could benefit public,” said a member of KWA employees union.

The capital city witnessed more than 10 pipe bursts in the last two months. Most bursts occurred on the 1200 mm diametre main transmission line bringing water from Aruvikkara to the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment